Saturday, June 1, 2013

Raiden's Top 100 Games: 100 - 91

A few notes before I begin. The console listed with the game is whatever console or device I preferred to play the game on, since a lot of these games are on multiple consoles/devices. Each entry will have a writeup with it (could be one sentence, could be paragraphs, really depends on the game and how lazy I'm feeling at the time), and possibly a pointess story or memory regarding the game. This list is my personal opinion and is not fact. If your favorite game isn't on the list, or isn't placed where you think it should be, try not to be too offended.

100.) Pacman Versus (Gamecube)
Four players, one is Pacman, the other three are ghosts. What more do I need to say?

99.) Columns (Game Gear)
I’ve enjoyed puzzle games ever since Becca introduced me to Tetris when I was five or six, and Columns is one of my favorites. A lot of batteries died to that game and my Game Gear (since that thing ate batteries) on car trips to the Grandparents when I was younger.

98.) Home Alone (NES)
There’s something amusing about running around the house like an idiot for 20 minutes while trying to avoid Harry and Marv. How a spider can knock them unconscious for so long is beyond me.

97.) Final Fight (Arcade)
The reason I picked Arcade over SNES? You could play as Guy, and Guy is awesome.

96.) Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
I loved the Materia system, but I wasn’t very fond of the cast, and I personally think that Sephiroth is a terrible excuse for a villain. Despite that, I played the hell out of this game and still have a file with everything possible on one of my old memory cards. I even printed out an entire walkthrough (over 100 pages, surprised I didn’t get in trouble for that) to reference if I got stuck.

95.) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
I love the Metroidvania style. The added dynamic of switching between Charlotte and Jonathan helped give the game a little extra replay value as well.

94.) Plague Inc. (iOS)
There’s something fun about picking a virus type and trying to wipe out everybody on the planet. The zombie mode is my favorite.

93.) Dragon Quest V (DS)
I frequently heard this game referenced on places like board 8, and always wondered what the fuss was about. When it was released on DS I ended up pre-ordering it and it did not disappoint.

92.) Katamari Damacy (Playstation 2)
First things first. The people that created this game had to be on some type of drugs. Regardless, it’s still a lot of fun to roll up everything, even if the King of All Cosmos is just going to get drunk and destroy it again.

91.) Super Bomberman (SNES)
This game was responsible for me buying the Four player multitap and extra controllers. It was also responsible for a lot of yelling coming from the basement at my parents' house when I’d have friends over and we’d pick the Speed Zone.

2 comments:

  1. Nice writeup and project Raiden!
    I might do one myself too once I have all my games in a single place.
    Will probably do a top 25 list per system myself though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pick from this batch, is Pac Man Versus. Many of these I haven't played, but Pac Man Versus was incredible. They actually have an arcade version I saw in oregon.

    ReplyDelete