Monday, June 3, 2013

Raiden's Top Games List: 80-71

80.) Dragon Age 2 (Playstation 3)
Dragon Age, one of the few “modern” RPGs that I can tolerate. While I liked the cast of Dragon Age 2 a lot more than I liked the cast in the original, the skill trees and battle system didn’t live up to the first game.

79.) Captain Comic (PC)
Good old DOS. We had a bunch of games on our old 386, and between playing Wheel of Fortune, Paperboy, and Super Munchers I came across a game labeled as “Comic” on the start screen. Being 12 and a genius, I decided to play it, thinking I would be reading a comic strip. While the game I found wasn’t as good as Calvin and Hobbes, it ended up taking away hours of my life. If only our install wasn’t broken and didn’t crash the game near the end.

78.) The Simpsons (Arcade)
When we would take the car ferry across Lake Michigan for the summer camping trips, I would go into the arcade and spend around $20-$30 between this game and Final Fight.  It helped a hyperactive kid survive four hour boat rides.

77.) Worms 2 (PC)
Out of all of the games I’ve ever played, this one brings back some of the fondest memories. Sitting with Ben and Chris in the computer room at Ben’s house, perfecting the use of the Ninja Rope to bypass obstacles and poke someone else’s worm into the water. Of course, we would sometimes switch it up to the baseball bat for a change of pace. There was the Super Sheep for long range destruction, sending the old woman after the opposition, and the classics like Mike’s Carpet Bomb, Concrete Donkey, Super Banana Bomb, Holy Hand Grenade, Mad Cow, and the Confused Sheep Strike. There was a period of time where I used the Angry Scots voice shouting "YOU ARSE!" whenever I'd get a message on AIM, so I'm pretty sure my family hated this game because of it.

76.) Basewars (NES)
Baseball with robots. Instead of being tagged out on the basepaths, the two robots fight. If the runner wins they’re not out and can continue along. Every robot had HP, and if it drops to zero, BOOM. You would get money for winning, which you could use to repair damaged players (HP doesn’t regenerate post game), or you could buy weapons to use in fights, or other enhancements to make your players hit the ball harder, or give them more HP, etc. My favorite was always Cyborg Osbourne. No idea why.

75.) Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)
Between this game and Melee, I’ve probably spent about 100 hours on the series. No matter how much time I play it, I’m still terrible. My wife loves to play as Yoshi, and the noise he makes when jumping makes me cringe every time. And yes, she beats me most of the time when we play. And no, I’m not letting her win.

74.) The Raiden Project (Playstation)
This is the game I stole my online name from. It was summer and we were camping at Wolf River. It was about 100 degrees and the only place that we wouldn’t melt was the air conditioned arcade. Jeremy and I were looking for interesting games to play and we came across Raiden. The rest is history.

73.) Lemmings (SNES)
I had never heard of a lemming before I ran into this game. I secretly wanted a lemming as a pet when I was younger after I got into this game. Thankfully I wasn’t stupid enough to assume that lemmings were naturally green and blue.

72.) Super Mario Brothers (NES)
Everybody knows this game (or at least should). My wife wanted to play two players when she first found out I had it, and I lucked out and managed to get through the game without dying (normally I have a few issues with those hammer brothers in 8-3) and she still doesn’t believe that it was dumb luck.

71.) Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Playstation 2)

The only thing I’d change about this game is to give it a proper level system like Symphony of the Night had. Great control, excellent combat, everything I had hoped for when I first heard about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment