Sunday, June 2, 2013

Raiden's Top Games List: 90-81

90.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
I was so proud of myself the first time I finished the dam. I was so disappointed in myself when I quickly died on the third level. I was once again proud when I finally beat the third level, and rolled through the fourth. To this day  I am still disappointed in myself because I’ve never got by the Technodrome.

89.) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Gameboy Advance)
I don’t remember what caused me to get this game in the first place, since I had never heard of Fire Emblem prior to it, but I was quickly hooked.  The permanent character death made me overanalyze every move because I didn’t want to lose a single character.

88.) Pokemon Emerald (Gameboy Advance)
When Gen 3 was released, I despised Pokemon. After running an RPG with over 60 active members back when it first hit, and playing through Pokemon Red about 100 times, I was completely burnt out. It reached the point I wrote an IRC script that would kick a user out of the room if they mentioned anything about Pokemon. I skipped Gen 2, and had no intention of playing Gen 3 until I saw Groudon on the cover of Ruby. For some unknown reason it really spoke to college aged me and I decided to give it another try. To this day Gen 3 remains my second favorite of the series.

87.) Final Fantasy Legend 3 (Gameboy)
As I type this, my cart of the game is sitting a few feet to my left. I went into the game with low expectations when I first played it, but it quickly became one of my go to games on family trips. Every summer when we would go camping in Michigan I’d start up a fresh game and see how far I could go before we got home.

86.) Gremlins 2 (NES)
I don’t care what anybody says, Gizmo is adorable. Throwing tomatoes, matches, and paperclips and falling into pits after missing a jump. Also, the Electric Gremlin.

85.) Chip’s Challenge (PC)
I bought a copy of Windows Entertainment Pack 4 just to play this game, and will still bust it out from time to time if I have a few minutes to kill. Great puzzles, great music, and of course, Bummer!

84.) Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom (PC)
As soon as my parents got a Windows PC, I had to go buy this game. I was introduced to it by my friend Chris (RIP buddy) and was hooked on the series from the first time I saw it. Spaceflight combat at its finest, a great story, and movies between missions. This series was truly ahead of its time. To this day, the first thing I do to break in a new PC is play through this game. The fan base for this game still exists, as someone went and made a DVD quality movie patch.

83.) Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (Playstation 2)
I was so into the Dynasty Warriors series that I purchased the Three Kingdoms books to read the entire story. Just when I started to get tired of the repetitive gameplay I found Empires and that added a new dimension that helped keep things fresh.

82.) Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out (NES)
I’ve still only managed to take down Tyson once in my life. Probably didn’t help that I couldn’t beat Soda Popinski until I was about 12.

81.) Snake Rattle N Roll (NES)

I was introduced to this game by my uncle, and as soon as I played it I knew I had to buy it. I won $20 at a Little League banquet and was at Toys R Us the next day to pick up my real prize. Eating Nibbly Pibblies (at least I think that’s what they were called) to increase your weight, avoiding the jumping foot that would squash your face, and the fish tail, all a lot of fun. I think I’m going to have to play this one again soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think I only played the Wing Commander from this list, though I have faint memories of a snake game on the GameBoy as well.
    Hmm.. come to think of it, I might have played Gremlins as well a few times.

    Anyway, another nice post. :D Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about your ban on pokemon!

    I think from this batch, I'd pick the TMNT game, but I can never remember which of the NES TMNT Games were the same as the arcade game. That was the best of them.

    ReplyDelete