Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Raiden's Top Games List: 60-51

60.) Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
This game is fun in single player, but it really shines in multiplayer. You have to divide up the weapons so you can both survive while trying to rescue the neighbors from the monster hordes. While doing that, you also have to try to avoid accidentally killing your partner. Of course, some of the real fun in the game is trying to find new and creative ways to get the other player killed. Jeremy and I never made it that far in multiplayer mode because we would quickly degenerate into trying to kill each other, and it was always funny.

59.) Phoenix Wright: And Justice For All (DS)
While there were only four cases in this game, the last three were all excellent (and to be fair, the opening case is more of an introduction, so they’re never very complex) so that made up for the lack of a fifth case.  I still remember having to pick my jaw off of the floor at the end of case 2-2, and then again at the end of case 2-4. The cast, the twists, the puns, the jokes, Maya being Maya, everything combines into a wonderful experience. Now that the HD Trilogy has been released on iOS, I never have to leave home without Phoenix and company.

58.) Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC)
I’ve played all of the early Command and Conquer games, but this one really stands out. An interesting alternate timeline story, balanced teams, and who could forget Espy’s “Miss Cleo” strategy. I still can’t figure out which side I like to play as more, since they both have so many fun units to choose from.

57.) Gemfire (SNES)
I had no idea this game existed until my brother rented it. It’s kind of like a cross between a Dynasty Warriors Empires game and a RTS. You grow food for your troops, build an army, and have access to special units that can help take down the opposition. I know I’m not doing it justice with my horrid explanation of it here, but don’t let my inability to explain it scare you off. This is an excellent game.

56.) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Next up is another outstanding platformer in the Castlevania series. I really enjoyed gathering up enemy souls for my own use (my favorite is still Persephone, at least I think that’s what it was called). It’s basically a vacuum that sucks up enemies and restores your HP. Not really effective, but it looks hilarious.

55.) Megaman 3 (NES)
Capcom did an excellent job expanding the game with this entry. After defeating the first eight robot masters, you have to replay four of their levels and take down the robot masters from Megaman 2. Once that’s done you can enter Dr. Wily’s Fortress. An excellent soundtrack, the addition of Rush and sliding, some cool weapons (Shadow Blade, Search Snake), but also some not so cool weapons (Top Spin? Really? Come on Capcom, you can do better than that!).

54.) Age of Empires 2 (PC)
I’ve only played through the single player campaign once. Whenever I play it, I end up firing up a random custom scenario instead. The Conquerors Expansion was worth the buy for me for the sole reason of being able to queue up farm rebuilds.

53.) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)
Easily my favorite game in the Sonic series. The minigames to collect the Chaos Emeralds were amusing, and being able to get Super Sonic was another big plus. Of course, I’d occasionally find myself jumping into pits due to Super Sonic’s greatly increased speed, but at least the failure was funny.

52.) Megaman X2 (SNES)
When Ben first rented this game and called me over, we got into a huge debate over whether or not Zero was coming back. I said no, because the ending of Megaman X said that “Those who sacrificed themselves for the victory will never return,” and I believed them. He also insisted that when you entered a password correctly, Zero would pop up in all of the boxes and give a thumbs up. I said that would be pointless since Zero was dead and never coming back, so it had to be X in his fully upgraded armor, which is why he his helmet had red on it. Thankfully, Capcom lied and I was so very wrong. The main focus of the story was getting Zero’s parts back from the X-Hunters so he could save your ass before the final battle with Sigma. In this case ignorance was bliss, and I was absolutely giddy.

51.) Little Nemo the Dream Master (NES)
I had no idea this game was based off of an old comic strip when I first played it, but I’d still like to read that comic. I used to have so many problems with the House of Toys. When I finally beat that level I managed to squeak by the Night Sea, and then it was onto Nemo’s House. I hated that level. If you died at the end you’d have to do the whole thing over again, since specific animals were needed to advance, and I was very impatient. After that, Cloud Ruins trolls the hell out of you by putting all of the keys at the end of the level. It was great to see, but I wish I had known that ahead of time. Then there’s Nightmare land. The first time I saw that level I was at a friend’s house alternating levels with him and his brother, and when we read that keys weren’t needed anymore we all cheered. When we read that we got the Royal Scepter, we cheered again. When we quickly died on the boss of the second area of Nightmare Land, we stopped cheering. It’s hard to be frustrated with Nightmare Land though, the music there is so awesome (if you like video game cover music, check out the medley by Descendants of Erdrick.)

No comments:

Post a Comment